Monday, May 10, 2010

Meatless Monday- Vegan Chicken Pot Pie




Happy Monday to all!! I hope you all had a fantastic Mother's Day with your family and friends. I am so excited today to share this delicious Vegan Chicken pot pie recipe with you. I remember eating pot pie as a child, of course mine always came from the frozen food section of the supermarket, so when I stumbled across a homemade version, I was over the moon.


This pot pie is better than any I have tasted before and I love the carrots and peas the best. I hope you can get your kids involved in making this dish, it is a winner all around!


VEGAN CHICKEN POT PIE

INGREDIENTS:

1.5 T olive oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil
2 cups diced onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 tsp. minced garlic
4T nutritional yeast or flour (all-purpose organic or conventional, whole wheat is best)
1 ea. 10oz bag organic frozen peas and carrots
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups diced vegan sausage, salted eggplant, fried or frozen tofu, mock chicken, seitan, or mushrooms (this part is the “meat replacement”)
1 package vegan pie crust or homemade pie dough
salt and pepper to taste


DIRECTIONS

Heat oil in a small pan and sauté onion and celery until they are clear.
Add garlic and sauté a few minutes more.
Add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until well incorporated.
Pour in vegetable stock and stir.
Simmer until the mixture has thickened.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add remaining vegetables and meat replacement. Simmer till meat replacement is heated through.
Roll out pie crust and cut it about 1/2 an inch larger than the ramekin you are using. Rub top side of crust with a little oil.
Place the sautéd mixture in ramekin and top with pie crust.
Bake in pre-heated 450° oven for 10-15 minutes until crust is golden brown.

Happy Cooking!!
XOXO,





2 comments:

  1. Super recipe! I will give it a try! I really want to figure out my own pot pie recipe someday--I too, grew up on those frozen pot pies! I used to love them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled upon your blog - I LOVE it!
    This pie looks delicious - can't wait to try it out myself.
    Thanks!
    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete