Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Larry's Birthday Soup



So I took a walk to one of my favorite haunts, Barnes and Noble to look at all the pretty books in the store. I love books and i love to read, but i digress. I was in the magazine section, browsing through the cooking section and came across a recipe that caught my attention, the title was pretty intriguing too: Larry's Birthday Soup.

As I read through the ingredients I thought that it was pretty easy to convert into a vegan/vegetarian recipe, so I omitted the turkey and cheese. Otherwise, the soup was a hit with everyone who sampled it! Yeah!!!

I don't know who Larry is but I am thankful for his birthday and may he continue to enjoy this soup for many years to come!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LARRY and thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!!





LARRY'S BIRTHDAY SOUP
Servings: 2 quarts or 6-8

Ingredients:
1 qt. low-sodium vegetable broth (I used Vegan Vegetable Bouillon with sea salt & herbs)
1 10-oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes and chilies
2 cups shredded vegetarian protein or for omnivores use cooked turkey or chicken (I omitted this, but you can use BLACK BEANS or other vegetable based protein source)
2 cups frozen or fresh corn
1 1/2 cup water, divided
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 lb. Velvetta light cheese, cubed (I omitted this, but you can use Vegan cheese or any other vegetarian cheese alternative that melts!)
pepper to taste

Directions:
In soup pot, combine broth, tomatoes, corn, 1 cup water, onions and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until corn is tender. Combine the flour with 1/2 cup cold water until smooth; stir into the soup. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened; stir in turkey, chicken or vegetarian protein product. Reduce heat to low and add cheese cubes; stir until just melted.

HAPPY COOKING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment