Monday, May 3, 2010

Meatless Monday- Vegan Raspberry Chocolate Cake




The last couple of weeks have seen more than my fair share of birthdays and cakes! I decided to make a raspberry chocolate vegan cake for my friend's birthday and here is the recipe I used. Since I just finished taking a cake decorating class, I was practicing my rose making and decorating skills as well. The photograph above is the finished product.

I normally post a dinner menu item, but I decided to do a dessert for today's post instead. The outcome was absolutely delicious! I hope you have some fun in the kitchen making this yummy recipe.



RASPBERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE

3 cups flour (cake flour works best)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup raspberry “all-fruit” preserves (reserve the remainder of the jar for the filling)
1 tsp. vanilla
4 ounces unsweetened apple sauce
2 tbsp. vinegar mixed with 2 cups water

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 8-inch pans.

Mix the first 5 dry ingredients together. Then add the wet ones. Beat with a mixer for 1-2 minutes, until all indredients are thoroughly blended. Pour into the prepared pans and bake on the middle rack until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes; then invert onto wire racks and allow to completely cool. Place one cake onto the serving plate and top it with about 1/2 cup of raspberry fruit spread. Spread one side of the other cake with frosting (recipe below) and put the two sides, raspberry and frosting, together. Frost the cake with the remaining frosting.





VEGAN BUTTERCREME FROSTING

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
1/2 cup nonhydrogenated margarine, we use Earth Balance
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
INSTRUCTIONS
Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.

HAPPY COOKING!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have to ask, where did you take the class at? After baking a cake last night, and my piping not turning out as pretty as yours (I always have the perfect image in my head) I threw down my pastry bag and decided I need to take the Wilton class at Michael's.

    ReplyDelete

  2. What a beautiful cake!!! I used this cake as a gift for my Mother, on this mother’s day
    Thanks by heart!!!
    Such awesome cakes i found only on the site :
    Online Cake Delivery in Noida
    Online Cake Delivery in Delhi
    Online Cake Delivery in Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete