Monday, March 1, 2010
Meatless Monday- Potato Leek Soup and Caesar Salad
It's Meatless Monday once again!! It's March 1st and we are going to get snow here tomorrow, so I wanted to share a nice, warm soup recipe with you. It's nice to have this soup while dreaming on Spring and the beauty it will bring!
Potato Leek Soup
4 leeks (white part only), sliced
6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
3 vegetable bouillon cubes
2 spring (green) onions, chopped, for garnish
• Place the leeks and potatoes in a large pot. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Add the bouillon cubes and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
• Remove from the heat. Transfer to a blender or food processor and process until thick and smooth.
• Divide the soup evenly among five bowls and garnish with onions.
Makes 5 servings
2 Tbsp. margarine, melted
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large loaf rustic Italian bread, crusts removed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
2 tsp. salt, divided
1 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce (available from veganstore.com)
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 heads romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and chopped into 1-inch pieces
1-2 Tbsp. nondairy parmesan “cheese” (ttry Soyco’s Soymage brand— at www.galaxyfoods.com)
• Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
• Combine the margarine and olive oil in a large bowl. Add the bread cubes and toss until coated. Sprinkle them with 1 tsp. of the salt, 1/2 tsp. of the black pepper, and the cayenne pepper, and then toss again until evenly coated.
• Spread the bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until croutons are golden—, about 10 minutes.
Allow them to cool completely cool on the tray.
• Meanwhile, for the salad dressing, place the remaining 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. black pepper, garlic, lemon juice, Worchestershire sauce, mustard, and olive oil into a food processor and process until smooth.
• Place the lettuce and croutons into a large bowl, add the salad dressing and non-dairy soy parmesan, and toss well to coat.
• Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
Keep Warm and Happy Cooking!!!